Aylburton Cross Photograph by: STEPH LORD

Aylburton Community

Aylburton lies astride the A48 approximately 1.5 Kilometres south west of Lydney. To the east of the village the land slopes gently down to the Severn Estuary, whilst to the west the land rises steeply from the village edge up to the Severn Escarpment. Aylburton Village is generally linear with mainly older terraced properties facing directly onto the A48. Much of the village falls within a designated Conservation Area, including the houses either side of the A48, St Mary’s Church and the school. Within this area, there are 7 listed buildings and one ancient monument - the 14th C Village Cross.

The older buildings are generally constructed of stone or finished with render, with a mixture of slate or clay tiled roofs. Development in the post war period has taken place largely to the west of the A48, including a Local Authority estate off Church Road in the 1950’s, a private estate adjoining Chapel Hill in the 1970’s, and a further smaller development off the High Street in more recent years. There are a limited range of local services including two surviving public houses, a Primary School, Village Hall and allotments. There is a large recreation ground, which is located on the wrong side of the busy A48 road for the majority of the population. Local employment is provided by an industrial business in the village centre, and a large estate with several farms adjoining the village. There is a small industrial estate based around the redevelopment of a farm yard and its buildings off Stockwell Lane. Lydney is also close by, offering a range of employment and services.

The population of the Parish has remained virtually static over the last ten years. The estimated village population is about 780 persons with a housing stock of 325 dwellings